16 January, 2017
Vegan Beet Muffins For People Who Don’t Like Beetroot
Here’s another vegan beet muffin recipe, and I’d say this one is suitable for people who don’t like beet too.
I’m personally not a fan of the beetroot (I don’t like the flavor rather than the taste), so I added my favorite flavors which are coconut, orange and chocolate. You can use any type of milk, but I used coconut milk and I added some shredded coconut. I added some candied orange peel, but orange zest works too. I also added a little cocoa powder, but if you want your muffins more chocolatey, you can add more. You can even add some chocolate chips or chopped chocolate.
Since I didn’t put that much beet, the color of my muffins wasn’t very red on the inside after I baked them. You can put more beetroot into your mixture, or add some red food coloring. If you use heart shaped muffin molds, these muffins can turn into a cute Valentine’s Day dessert.
- 1 medium banana
- 1 ½ small cooked beetroots
- 2 cups of flour of your choice (I mixed rice and oat flour)
- 1 ½ teaspoons of baking powder
- 2/3 cup of coconut milk
- Sweetener of your choice – to your taste
- 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons of shredded coconut – optional
- Cinnamon, vanilla extract, orange zest – optional
For the frosting
- ½ cup of coconut cream (See more details here)
- Sweetener of your choice
- Vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons of shredded coconut
- Dry fruit of your choice for decoration – optional (I used goji berry and candied orange peel)
Preheat your oven to 180°C (350°F).
Mash the banana and grate or grind the beetroot.
Combine the flour with the baking powder and add the rest of ingredients, then mix well. If the mixture is too thick, you can add some more milk.
Pour the mixture into muffin molds and bake for about 20 minutes. Keep an eye on them and check them with a toothpick.
For the frosting
Let the muffins cool down completely.
Mix the coconut cream with the sweetener and the vanilla extract. Spread it over the muffins, decorate with dried fruit or nuts and sprinkle some shredded coconut.
If you like the recipe, share it with your friends and don’t forget to follow me on my social media pages to know when a new recipe is up. 🙂